According to reports from Agwan Biri area of Minna, Niger State, two persons have been confirmed dead, while 10 others were injured following the electrocution that occurred.
Eye-witness reported that the deceased were electrocuted on Saturday, 29th of July when they got in contact with home appliances during a power surge.
The Public Relations Officer of the Niger State Emergency Management Agency, Ibrahim Hussaini, who confirmed the incident, said one of the deceased had been buried.
Hussaini said 10 other people injured in the incident were rushed to hospitals, adding that two of them were in critical conditions.
“About 49 houses were affected in the incident which was suspected to have been caused by power surge resulting from contact between a 33KV line and a distribution line in the area.
“We have gone to the area to carry out assessment; and we can also confirm that two persons died.”
The Head, Public Relations and Media, Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, Ahmed Shekarau, said the company had sent a fact-finding team to the community to know what happened.
In a text message, Shekarau added,
“We will issue a detailed statement on the unfortunate incident after the report of the fact-finding team.”