Its that period of the year where you feel like everything you touch shocks you. An electric shock when turning on a light switch or tuning a door knob can be quite annoying. Luckily, there are a few things you can to do minimize the amount of static electricity in your home. Although static electricity may seem unavoidable and relentless, especially during the dry cold months, eliminating static electricity is a lot easier than you would think.
Once you understand how static electricity is created and transferred, there are steps you can take to reduce the initial static electricity, and control how it transfers to you, hereby reducing the electric shocks every time you touch something. There is a little explanation below about static electricity and few tips of the best ways to avoid shock in your home.
Without going too deeply into an electrostatics lesson, it’s important to know what causes those static shocks so you can start avoiding them. Static electricity “refers to the build-up of electric charge on the surface of objects”—essentially, when electrons move from one surface to another through contact. If the surfaces are both insulators, they’ll build up an electrical charge. One object will have a positive charge (because it lost electrons) and one will have a negative charge (because it gained electrons). If one of the charged objects then touches a conductor, like a piece of metal, the charge will neutralize itself, resulting in the painful static shock.
FACTORS ATTRIBUTING TO ELECTRIC SHOCK AND THEIR SOLUTION
There are a lot of insulators in your home, like the wool carpet in the living room and the rubber soles of your shoes. When walking on wool carpet, your body builds up a charge that it can’t get rid of because of the insulating soles of your shoes. Then, you touch that metal doorknob or light switch to feel a jolt of electricity. One of the easiest ways to avoid static shock is to pay attention to what you’re wearing and what kind of fabrics make up the furniture in your house.
1) Rubber-Soled Shoes
Rubber-soled shoes are great insulators, and will build up a lot of static in your body when combined with a wool or nylon carpet.
Solution: Leather or Cotton
Instead of rubber, walk around in leather soled shoes or wear cotton socks instead of wool. Leather soled shoes are also better when grocery shopping because shopping carts often cause a lot of static electricity.
2) Wool Sweaters
Wool sweaters are usually worn during the dry, cold months making you a walking target for electric charge. If you sit in a chair made out of the right fabric in a wool sweater, you’ll build up quite a bit of static.
Solution: Cotton Sweaters
Try wearing cotton clothes if you want to avoid nasty shocks. Certain furniture covers or antistatic sprays can also help alleviate this problem. You can also make use of fabric softener and dryer sheets while doing laundry to remove any static caused.
3) Dry Skin
Dry skin contributes to static electricity and static shock, so lotions and moisturizers help to prevent static electricity from accumulating on your body.
Rub lotion on yourself when you get out of the shower and before getting dressed, or rub it on your hands as needed throughout the day.
4) Dry Air
Dry air is also an insulator, so static electricity is even more common during the dry cold months.
Solution: Use a Humidifier
A humidifier can make the air in your home less dry which will lower the possibility of you getting shocked at home.
So guys you use these simple tricks to help you eliminate the common household static electric shock annoyance.