A technician attached to the Ughelli Area Office of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company(BEDC) has been electrocuted. The incident happened on Friday during a power disconnection exercise of debtors at the Low-Cost Housing Estate in Ughelli North Local Government Area of Delta State. The deceased,whose name was simply given as Theophilus was also with other BEDC staff when the incident happened.
Read more: Power Surge in Minna: 2 Dead, 10 Injured
Giving details of the incident, a resident who wanted to be anonymous said;
“The incident came as a surprise. “We were all watching when the head of team for the disconnection insisted that a particular compound should be disconnected.
“The technician, whom they claimed was an ad hoc staff, also pleaded with the head of the team not to disconnect the building. “Despite the appeal, the head of the team ordered the technician to climb up and cut the source of power supply.“After much argument, the deceased reluctantly climbed the pole to effect the disconnection, but in the process, electricity was restored to the line, resulting to him being electrocuted.”
Another resident of the area who confirmed the incident, said that the BEDC officials who went on the disconnection exercise with the deceased could not do anything to save him noting that the body of the deceased was strapped to the electric pole for over an hour after the incident which was later evacuated in collaboration with sympathizers who later came to the scene.
Commenting on the incident, the BEDC’s Public Relations Officer in charge of the area, Helen Ogagarue, described the incident as unfortunate, saying “He wasn’t a staff of BEDC but was working with a BEDC staff. However, there are efforts to go and see his family.”