The importance of electricity cannot be over-emphasized in the lives of power consumers. Electricity is the founding block of present day industrialization and commercialization, it also serves as a means of achieving improved comfort in our homes and offices. Nevertheless, in spite of the numerous benefit accrued from the presence of electricity, it is also a highly dangerous commodity; that is why one cannot generate, transmit, distribute or consume electricity without addressing the issue of safety.
Electricity is a flowing force that cannot be seen with our eyes, but can be felt with or without close contact. Electricity flow always seeks ground and will take all paths to get there. It flows through water, metals, trees, wood, rubber, straw, tires or people. If you come in contact with energized cables, you could become a part of the electrical circuit and receive a shock that could harm or kill.
Read Also; 7 Dos to Prevent Electrical Hazards
In order to safely enjoy the benefits of this form of energy, SparkMedia came up with general safety guidelines one should observe in order to ensure and enhance one’s safety while toying with this friendly enemy. These tips cut across power usage at home, in the offices, business places, factories amongst others. As the saying goes, when dining with the devil, ensure you use a long spoon.
- Make sure premises and heavy appliances are equipped with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs). In other words, ensure proper earthing of premises.
- Never Poke fingers, or anything into wall sockets. Use Cords with third (ground) prong. Never try to remove the third prong.
- Do not overload any circuits.
- Do not plug or unplug electrical appliances, tools or equipment with wet hands or in wet conditions.
- Do not insert any metal implement into an electrical appliance while it is plugged in.
- Turn off all appliances that are not in use. How would you feel if someone turned you on and then left?
- Replace damaged or frayed cords.
- Never attempt to disconnect your meter, you do not know the manufacturer or installer set-up as it could explode.
- Make use of standard electrical materials for installation work.
- Employ the services of qualified electrician to perform any electrical work.
Read Also; 15 Electricity Safety Tips For Kids
It is expedient to take caution when dealing with electricity, because” that” which has the power to make life easy and comfortable for us all, possess also the power to take life.
Always remember, Safety First whenever it comes to Electricity.