How to Avoid Electrical Accidents in the Office

Electrical accidents can occur in the office environment too, almost everything in the office runs on electricity.  An office environment is a place very much prone to electrical hazards which can cause serious shock and burn injuries. There are a high amount of electrical equipment in the office from computers, printers, monitors, scanners, and so on, when these equipment are improperly used or maintained it can lead to a hazard.  Ensuring a safe cohabitation in the work place is necessary to avoid electrical hazards. We need to be aware of the potential dangers and take precautions to avoid them. The incidents that occur in the office are usually as a result of faulty or defective equipment, unsafe installation, or misuse of equipment-mishandling of extension cords, power strips and surge protectors.

Safety Tips to Prevent Electrical accidents in the office.


  •        Do not plug two extension cords together.
  •      Turn off all appliances (computers, printers, etc.) at the close of work.
  •     Disconnect any electrical equipment that malfunctions or gives off a spark. Don’t ignore warning signs. If an item feels hot, makes an unusual noise, smokes or sparks, tag them “Don’t Not Use”. And immediately call the technical engineer for maintenance.
  •    Do not attempt to repair an energized or plugged in device.
  •     Avoid the use of frayed, or broken electrical cords, these worn-out can cause a fire.
  •     Avoid overloading outlets with too many appliances. Never plug in more than one high-wattage appliance at a time.
  •     Unplug appliances when not in use.
  •     Do not run electrical cords through high-traffic areas, under carpets, across doorways or where chairs can roll over them.
  •     Check cords and equipment regularly for any defects.
  •     Do not use electrical equipment when your hands or the equipment is wet.
  •    Use only equipment that is properly grounded or double-insulated.
  •    Keep wall close to walls to avoid people tripping over them.
  •    Do not bind, kink or knot electrical cords.
  •    If your computer screen flickers or fades, or you detect a burning smell, power down and immediately contact an engineer.
  •     Don’t attach extension cords with staples, hang from nails, or suspend them by wires.
  •     Do not force plug a device into outlet.
  •      Check for outlets that have loose-fitting plugs or covers.
  •     Place power strips where there is plenty of air circulation to disperse heat.

Note: Do not forget to make sure every appliance is unplugged before leaving the office. Unplug every one of the appliance from the extension cord. Do a monthly routine maintenance to ensure the wires are not frayed and appliances are not faulty.


Rejoice Obike

Obike Rejoice Chinecherem is an ardent reader who loves African literature. She is creative in writing, her write-ups are all about her everyday experiences, women, and society. She loves chocolates, and in her copious time enjoys reviewing artworks and talking about feminism.

Leave a Reply