EU, Nigeria’s GVE Build ₦242.9M Solar Mini Grids in Plateau

AD

The European Union, Germany and an indigenous renewable energy firm, Green Village Electricity (GVE) Project Limited, have completed and commissioned two solar mini-grid plants with a collective generating capacity of 100 KW of clean electricity. These mini-grids will power two agro-allied communities-Angwan Rina and Demshin in the Shendam LGA of Plateau state. The electricity from the mini-grids will be used to process produce from their farms.

The Managing Director of GVE, Mr. Ifeanyi Orajaka disclosed that the project cost a total of ₦242,892,270 and was done under the Nigerian Energy Support Program (NESP).

Read more: EU, Nigeria’s GVE Build ₦242.9M Solar Mini-Grids in two Plateau State Communities

 

The Challenge of Estimated Billing

An energy expert from Lagos-Prof. Yemi Oke- shares his views on estimated billing and its necessity despite outcry from the general public. The bill to criminalize estimated billing has been gaining some popularity over the past 2 months but Prof. Oke points out that estimated billing was a burden passed onto the DisCos. This is due to a metering gap which goes back several years, even before the privatization of the Nigerian Power Sector.

Prof. Oke also pointed out that the DisCos were nowhere near the level of efficiency envisioned under the National Electric Power Policy of 2001 & the Electric Power Sector Reform Act of 2005. However, he stated that it would be difficult for them to attain that level of efficiency with issues like electricity theft, overloading of transformers, etc.

Read more: The Challenge of Estimated Billing

 

DisCos need $80 Billion to Connect Customers

The Managing Director, Rubitec Africa, Bolade A. Soremeku in an interview with The Nation,  stated that electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos) need about $80 billion to connect their customers nationwide. He said this while at the lunch of Exeron Technology by Metkas in Lagos. He also mentioned that over $50 billion had already been spent on the electricity sector in the past 10 years and pointed out that this only added 1500 MW to the capacity and connected only 5% of customers.

Mr. Bolade Soremeku also noted that grid power was only available to meet the need of about 30% of the population (mainly urban centers) while the remaining 70% were made up of mainly rural dwellers, who depended on traditional biomass.

Read more: DisCos need $80 Billion to Connect Customers

 

 

Omoleye Sowore Promises to Boost Power Sector by 4500 MW

While speaking at a town hall meeting in Abeokuta, the capital of Ogun state, Omoleye Sowore, a presidential aspirant, observed the economic turmoil of the country and said it presently needs a “restore factory settings”.

The presidential aspirant promised a few things including boosting the power sector with an additional 4500 MW by integrating solar power into the national.

I’ll like to see how this works out, for more details: I’ll Restore Nigeria’s Economy to Factory Setting in 2019, says Omoleye Sowore

 

Organized Labour Calls For The Reversal Of Power Sector Privatization

The United Labour Congress (ULC) has called for the reversal of the power sector reforms and privatization of 2013. This call was made by the organized labour’s president Mr. Joe Ajaero, who claims that the power sector has truly failed Nigerians. He emphasized that government was still in the habit of funding the private investors that have taken over since 2013.

 He further mentioned that same approach has been adopted by the United Kingdom on its railway sector in an attempt to salvage what is left of the sector. He called on the Federal Government to adopt a similar approach to rescue the power sector from imminent collapse.

AD

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply