Following the recent inauguration of Prof. James Momoh as third substantive Chairman of Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) by the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed six (6) other commissioners to head the various departments of the commission. These appointments are subject to approval from the senate.
Here are the names of the commissioners and their respective portfolios;
- Sanusi Garba – Vice Chairman/Commissioner, Market Competition and Rates. This department determines tariffs and monitors the electricity market to prevent abuse of market power along with commercial evaluation of licence applications.
- Frank Nwoye Okafor – Commissioner, Engineering, Performance and Monitoring. This department tasked with developing and monitoring compliance of technical codes and standards for all operators.
- Moses Arigu – Commissioner, Consumer Affairs. This department develops consumer regulations and ensuring operators meet the minimum standards of services provided in regulations.
- Nathan Rogers Shatti – Commissioner, Finance and Management. This department support services such as Human Resources, Finance & Accounts, Information Technology and Protocol.
- Musiliu Olalekan Oseni – Commissioner, Planning, Research and Strategy. This department is tasked with providing the Commission with the required database and policy instruments to carry out its various activities alongside helping the Commission drive its renewable energy programmes.
- Dafe C. Akpeneye – Commissioner, Legal, Licencing and Compliance. This department coordinates the licensing procedure, enforcement of commission’s orders/decisions and provide legal support and advisory services to the commission.