From holiday candles to Christmas trees, seasonal decor can often be hazardous if not properly put up with care — or if it’s placed next to a potentially dangerous item. Follow the sage advice to keep your holidays happy and bright by making fire safety a priority during this festive season for you, your family and guests.
During the holidays, many people overload electrical circuits to accommodate holiday lighting, decorations and cooking appliances, unknowingly increasing the potential for electrical fires and outages. Since 25 per cent of Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems, always follow this checklist.
Inspect lights first: Before plugging in a strand of lights, examine the cord for damage. Throw away any frayed, kinked or worn light strands.
Never overload a circuit: A typical household circuit can power 70 strings of 50-bulb mini lights or 300 to 600 strings of 50-bulb LED lights. If you plan to use more than these amounts, spread the light strands across multiple circuits to prevent an overload. Take any major appliances into account if you plug lights into the same circuit.
Turn off all lights and decorations before leaving the house or going to bed: To avoid braving the cold every night, install a timer to automatically turn on the lights at dusk and turn them back off at dawn (or earlier if you prefer).
Use a GFCI: A ground-fault circuit interrupter is a special type of wall outlet installed in areas where water and electricity could potentially mix, causing a dangerous reaction. GFCIs monitor the electrical current flowing through them and automatically shut off if the current becomes unbalanced, like in the event water enters the system. This reduces the chance of electric shock. You know your outlet is a GFCI if it has a “test” and “reset” button on the front.
Keep your tree hydrated: Just two or three days without water could be enough to dry out a Christmas tree, so water it every day. Once a tree is dry, it can catch fire easily so it should be discarded.
Don’t use flimsy extension cords: Extension cords should always be heavy-duty, quality cords that are grounded for fire safety. Never run extension cords under rugs or in areas where they pose a tripping hazard. Keep in mind that an extension cord is meant to be used as a temporary solution so if you’re using one on a regular basis, you may want to hire an electrician to install permanent power.
Candles may provide a festive ambience and delightful fragrance, but they’re also responsible for starting two out of every five home decoration structure fires each year. This is especially true during the holidays when the top three days for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Christmas Eve.
Get flame without the fire: Consider replacing traditional candles with flameless, battery-operated types, but don’t forget to turn them off when leaving the house as LED lights do get hot.
Don’t leave the room: Never leave a candle burning unattended and, if you’re going to be stepping away from the candle for several minutes, it’s safer to blow it out rather than risk a potential hazard.
Use caution when decorating with candles: Always use a sturdy candle holder to keep it from tipping over or touching flammable surfaces. When decorating, keep candles at least 12 inches away from all flammable items.