Extension Cords Safety: How to Take care Of Your Extension Cords

AD

Extension cords are a common and convenient way to bring power to electrical devices. But used without proper caution, they can become fire hazards and pose risks to your personal safety.

Using extension cords properly is critical to your safety. With continu­ous use over time, an extension cord can rapidly deteriorate, creating a potentially dangerous electric shock or fire hazard.

We offer the following tips for staying safe from electric shock and electrical fires using Extensions

Also Read: HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR INVERTER.

How To Generate Your Own Energy (Renewable)

  • Don’t plug extension cords together. Instead, use one long enough for your purpose. Make sure extensions cords are properly rated for their intended use, indoor or outdoor and meet the power needs of the device being used.
  • Don’t use an extension cord to plug in a power strip. Instead, buy a strip with a longer cord.
  • Don’t use an adapter to get an extension cord with a three-prong plug into a two-prong outlet.
  • Never overload extension cords with many appliances or appliances with too much wattage.
  • Do not use staples or nails to attach cords to a wall. They could puncture the insulation and create a shock or fire hazard.
  • Do not put cords behind furniture or small spaces. Over time this could lead to a breakdown of the cord’s insulation. Avoid cramming too many cords together, keep them loose.
  • Do not leave cords dangling anywhere where one can trip over them.
  • Regularly check cords for damage, and replace the old worn-out cords. Before use look for cracked or frayed wires and loose connections.
  • Don’t substitute extension cords for permanent wiring- they are merely temporary.
  • Do not run extension cords, through walls, doorways, ceilings, or floors because covered cords don’t allow heat to escape thus, increases the fire risk.

Caring for extension cords

  • Always store cords indoors.
  • Unplug extension cords when they’re not in use.
  • Throw away damaged cords.
  • Pull the plug—not the cord—when disconnecting from the outlet.

AD

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply